Sunday, January 11, 2009

fear

good god, do i love clive barker. he is an absolutely brilliant author. the way he uses words to fuck with reality and peoples minds is just so... perfect. he has mastered the art of the mind fuck.

just thougth i'd share that with everyone. if anyone has never read a clive barker book, then you are missing out. i strongly recomend weaveworld, cabal, the great and secret show, mr b.gone, and any of his books of blood. absolute genious.

i have had a lot of time to read lately, and clive barker is the author i have been reading lately. i re-read cabal, i finished the last 3 books of blood, and im about 3 quarters through the great and secret show.

the reason i have had a lot of time to read lately is because on thursday, my birthday of all the days, i had my toe opperated on. it was a most unpleasant experience. i wont go in to details, but let me just say that i would rather face the opperation without any anaesthetic than face another one of those fucking needles in my foot. let alone 3 of them...

by the way, this all ties in to the title, so dont dispare yet.

the reason i had my toe cut open is because the nail was in-grown and was cutting into the inside of my toe, wich needless to say was rather painful. i have been hyped up on pain meds for the last few days. wooo!!! i have had the opperation before on another toe, but the healing proccess this time round has been excruciatingly painful in comparrison. friday night was the worst night of my life. i couldnt sleep cause i was in so much pain it was taking every ounce of concentration not to cry out. and because i was concentrating, i couldnt sleep. and because i wasnt asleep, i heard some things i never want to hear again. shudder.

i found out the reason why my toe has been hurting so much more though. the surgeon put 4 stitches into it withought bothering to tell me. you know how with cheese wire you gently move it and it cuts through the cheese? i have had that feeling for several days now. its not entirely pleasant.

and tomorow i get the stitches removed, which is supposedly more painful than recieving an injury wich requires stitches in the first place.

i hate going to the doctors. and this has just further enhanced my hatred of all things medical. if the fucking doctor had at least told me i had 3 inches of wire running through my flesh, then at least i might have KNOWN why it was hurting so much. and if he had done it right in the first place, then i wouldnt even had needed stitches. on a side note i think im becoming addicted to panadol. i havent gone a day for nearly a week withought having them, and i find myself taking some even though it doesnt hurt so much. again, doctors fault!

and all that has got me to thinking about fear. why do we feel fear for certain irrational things? is it because of some memory hewn into our dna from ancient times? well, i find it hard to believe that cave men were scared of flying, or scared of clowns. is fear a learned thing? do we learn to fear things by associating traumatic events in the past with certain objects and scenario's? well i fail to see how someone could have a traumatic event with wide open area's.

but perhaps the thing i thought most about fear is: what does it feel like to be irationally afraid of something??? there is not much that remotely scares me. im not saying it to be tough, i honestly dont get scared by much. there is only really one thing that scares me, and that is the thought of my friends being in pain and me being un-able to help them. but thats just a thought, its not a person or object or scenario. i guess the closest thing i have to irrational fear is that i truly despise hospitals. i walk into one and i feel a stiffling oppression come over me, like someones thrown a thick fog over the area. when i am in a hospital i feel on edge and alert, and time seems to move at a snails pace.

im not scared of hospitals, if i have to i will go into one, i just really really detest them. they are supposed to be places of healing, but all i can smell when i enter is pain, sickness and death. i can litterally smell all this, and it is sickening to be around. the clean conditions, clean smell, clean nurses, its all a lie. its like one of those masks that pharaoes were bueried with once they were mummified. the mask itself is shiny and beautiful, but underneath all that remains is decay and rot. the reason a hospital always smells like cleaner is because they are always trying to mask the scent of disease and agony. it disgusts me, but i suppose its no different to a court of law or a prison, or any other place that has ties to the government. all stink of rot and suffering.

i suppose eventually my hate of hospitals might turn into fear, but for now it is content, it seems. still, my visit this last week has done little to improve my outlook on them. to all who have been bothered to read: comment with your fears and hates. and possibly some reasoning as well. that would be good...

anyway it is late and there are buildings to burn and people to stab. i shall be of now.

and remember: i am always watching :P

5 comments:

sam-ham said...

oh I don't like hospitals either. I've been in too many. I had 2 knee operations when I was 14... that sucked. So I sympathise with you :(. my ops were about 2 weeks after my 14th birthday. My other option was to have them done the weekend before it, but that would have sucked more. Also my other other option was wait a few years then they would do an operation that involve breaking both my hips and my ankles and rotating my legs. Hence me opting for the other option (which didn't entirely work, but oh well.).

Anywho, fear. I am completely and utterly irrationally petrified of ventriloquist dummies. Even the 'cute' ones. If I see one, whether it be real, fake, cartoon, or even just a photograph of one, I freak out, often start crying and go into a panic attack. I DON'T KNOW WHY! There's just something so... unnatural about it. We had to use them in drama once and I FREAKED.
Also, I have the same fear of those carwashes that you have to drive through. I just go into this panic and freak out and cry (and I'm not claustrophobic.).
I guess different people would have different theories about WHY we fear things like that. I guess some would say it was to do with past lives. Perhaps I was tormented by a ventriloquist dummy when going through a car wash in one of my past lives. Who knows.

the thing that should not be said...

wow thats so cool! ventriloquist dummies are kinda freaky. word of advice: never EVER watch a movie calld dead silence.

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Maybe Night of the Living Dummy by R.L. Stine was not the best bedtime reading material then huh? :P

OK. Well yeah I really hate having people in pain without me being able to help them... have to HELP! Aaagghhh! Oh well... I have only ever been in a hospital 3 times as far as I know... 1 when i was born, 2 when a cousin of mine was born, 3 when my sister was in the hospital. So don't really have any dislike for it...

the cleanliness is to prevent anyone anywhere within the walls to be the slightest bit unclean... basically to prevent infections or anything that might make their recovery dificult. This is a bloody stupid idea because this creates the race of super-bugs... the few germs that survive all the disinfectant dont die off and so uve only got really strong germs (natural selection SPED UP!!) that r incredibly hard to get rid of and u die of them...

... dun dun dun :P

fear... what do i fear?

....loneliness... ex-bf's of people i date (that one is %100 rational though...)... i don't fear the darkness because thats just... darkness... so? its not like something can actually see me in the dark...

eternity. i fear eternity... i fear aging... i fear time... theres never enough time in the world and the longer u have the more u age and closer u get to eternity.... it's impossible to win and eventually we'll all die and chances r i wont be finished whatever i was doing... but i dont want to finish everthing then fade away as some fragile old man... seen Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Yeah... that was like sitting down in a movie theatre and showing a horrific and terrifyingly inevitable future to me it was a awesomely brilliant movie but it confronted me with age so was very sad... and it shows Daisy aging from a child to over 80 within 2 hours! I could SEE HER AGE it was freaky... it was uncomfortable thinking that would happen to me and id be barely able to talk or move and id be hooked up to a machine and FOR WHAT!? Why should I continue to live when i'm that old and deseased and pathetic? what kind of life is spent living in a bed that beeps? Sudden death is the way for me not to let age take me...

so one day yes... yes i will dislike hospitals immensely and regard them as just a place to die...

"I just don't like getting older..."

I also find large crowds in big unfamiliar spaces very uncomfortable and distressing... but i think ive mentioned that in a blog entry somewhere (20 minutes is not enough! well it is for shopping)

what else do i fear? hmm...

i also fear the colour purple :P

ur blogs r very interesting because they always pose questions to discuss.

the thing that should not be said...

lol your fears intrigue me.

sam-ham said...

I'll be sure not to watch it lol

yeah damn R.L. Stine books scared me, the ventriloquist dummy themed ones. Love his other stuff though!