Thursday, December 4, 2008

The End of The World

Woo! Hell yeah it's the end of the world!.... No not really, sorry to get your hopes up all you rapture-junkies (You know who you are! hahaha you are so addicted to the end of the world... crazy gits.... no that joke made no sense) but this is merely a story about the end of the world... well, actually it's not even that... but it eventually gets to a bit of destruction which I'm sure you'll all enjoy! Well OK, the wonderful and lovely Brooke, (Has stolen my thoughts! Oh! Yeah that joke will never die! Even though... I've only actually ever said it once before... bonus cookie points to the people who can tell me when I've said that joke before...) the girl we all adore... in a friendly sense because some of us (OK only me) have a girlfriend. Well anyhoo, she has shown off some things she has written and they are, quite frankly, brilliant! I love them as I would love a child... enough to look at it for more than a few minutes and show some interest in it without actually doing anything to/for it! Yeah... I don't like kids too much... OK maybe I like Brooke's stories even more than children? Wait... that makes me sound heartless (Darkside! - bonus cookie points waiting people) but oh well!

Anyhoo.... my point is: I feel like showing off/competing with Brooke. Why? Because I'm... made of awesomevil... that's right I am awesomevil! (I don't even know how to pronounce that!) and I don't know. I have a lot of spare time now that it's holidays so I just keep wanting to blog but can't be bothered typing too much so yeah...

OK! Check out one of Brooke's wonderful stories :) This one is the happy one:

http://panicthisgiirl.blogspot.com/2008/11/jump.html

OK and this is my story! It's a bit longer but hey... be glad you're not reading it all... it's nearly 14 pages so far and I'm working on it! I has an idea! This is part of it!

Her name is Caitlin. (No bonus cookie points there unfortunately...) Let's just say she's 16 or 17. OK! Read on.... this is:

Untitled! (Wow.... imaginative...)

I was hungry so I decided to stop by at a fast food outlet before heading back home. I was barely paying any attention to my surroundings I didn’t even know what franchise I was inside and just ordered the first thing I saw on the list behind the woman at the counter. She handed me my food and I found a table in the corner far away from everyone else.
I don’t know how long I was there just staring at the blur of the headlights of cars as they went past but I snapped out of my trance when a cleaner came nearby and tried to mop near my feet.
I looked around and noticed that the entire place was empty except one or two people who had only come in recently. It was also very dark.
I sprang to my feet and got out of the way of the cleaner as I ran towards the door. I wasn’t meant to be home too late my father would get very angry. I started thinking of a way to sneak into the house without him knowing or how to get out of being punished as I stepped into the cold night air.
It was late and the stars were coming out. Clouds rolled over them and it become even darker and I kept walking. The only light being the occasional street lamp along the road near the foreshore and so I wasn’t completely blind. But it was somewhat uncomfortable being out alone this late even when I wasn’t going to be in trouble for it.
I saw in front of me four very large, very tough and very dangerous looking men. They were dressed in dark clothes and had some way of concealing their faces so I wouldn’t be able to recognize them if I saw them in the light. One was wearing sunglasses and another wore a hat. Well that seemed really stupid, it’s the night.
They looked at me and I could hear some excited murmurs as I got closer to them but I tried not to show how concerned I was about them. I tried only to look at them from the side of my eyes and to make it look like I had no interest or acknowledgement of their existence. I really didn’t want their attention but I unfortunately think I already had it.
I started to try and fade away in my head again. Preparing myself for what might come. I started to zone out and become disconnected from the world around me just enough that I would still be able to walk.
Suddenly something caught my attention and prevented me from separating mind from body. A fifth man -whose face was covered in cloth so I couldn’t see his mouth- joined them and walked side by side them. Oh great. There were even more of them now and this one didn’t look as large as them so he’d probably be able to chase after me if I ran.
The really strange thing about the fifth man was that the others didn’t seem to be too happy about him. This confused me when they started to walk slower to let him pass by them. The fifth man did the same. They then sped up and so did the fifth man. What was going on? Was this guy just drunk and seeing if he could annoy these people? The four men stopped entirely and faced the other man. They all looked very annoyed.
Fifth looked at them and pulled down the cloth that had covered his mouth. He smiled. His grin was stupid, eager and oblivious.
They looked back, angry, irritated and intent on smashing this guy’s face in now.
“What do you think you’re doing?” one of the larger men said.
Fifth still just stood there smiling. I had stopped to watch now. Even though this was probably a bad idea I was standing there with fascination at what was before me. Surely this man was insane or inebriated in some way or another because he was thin, my height and was up against four people twice his size that he didn’t seem to realize were a danger to him.
“Oi! We’re talking to you! Answer us!”
The largest of the guys stood in front of Fifth as the rest surrounded him. He didn’t even bother to look around at them; instead he turned his head slowly and looked at me. His head tilted to the side so he was looking at me on an angle. I saw it then, his eyes were discoloured, they were dark with specks of red and lines of white that were surrounded by a sea of pale yellow instead of white. He looked like he had a disease, he looked rapid and he looked incredibly insane now with his stupid toothed grin and ragged hair that hung below his shoulders. I could see him better now, easier, like he was slightly illuminated by the light around him more than anyone else. The world seemed to focus around him and his discoloured eyes store deep into mine. This strangely was a lot less unnerving than the fact that his line of sight had been met by the other four men and they were now looking at me too.
His head tilted and rotated back to face the big one. He tilted his head back and looked up at the man standing a whole head and shoulders above him then his head continued moving back. He was looking directly at the man behind him only his head was upside down… 180 degrees from what heads normally face.
“You are the little one,” he said to the man behind him.
It was obvious that he had annoyed them because they got somewhat restless and their patient waiting before they attacked seemed to be coming to an end.
“Right! Get him!”
It didn’t matter who said that because they were all struck at once. I don’t know how you strike in four different directions at once but somehow the ragged stranger seemed to manage. Before the broken, and now toothless, heads of the men had even made it halfway to the ground fifth had slammed his fist into the path and the ground opened up before him. He had created some sort of rift in the concrete path that spiraled down into darkness and the four men were sucked into it, bleeding and screaming at the sheer terror of the never ending fall into darkness before them.
Then it was all gone and they lay there screaming and writhing on the pavement as they clutched their broken teeth and battered jaws. They realized they were no longer falling and quickly scrambled away on all fours as they attempted to get up onto their hind legs.
“Running… like dogs…” the man who had done it all said with a strange hint of fascination in his voice.
He looked down and picked up the teeth one by one. He counted them as he did and it surprised me that the number had reached the double digits. Thirty-one teeth! What also surprised me was that I had stuck around long enough to watch this stranger pick up teeth from four men twice his size that he had just sent screaming and scared like a bunch of children from a rapid dog.
He poured the teeth into his pocket in his coat and turned around to face me. His clothes were bizarre to say the least. His black coat was covered in uneven and unsymmetrical pockets, some of which bulged. It had strips of cloth that hang from it forming stalactite-like shadows between his legs and arms and it was covered in strips of cloth that would come out of places, like his shoulder, and simply become reattached somewhere else, like his elbow. The sleeves covered the tops of his hands yet stopped at his wrists. Although this looked like the most unprofessional and incompetent design for a piece of clothing it seemed immaculately done, seamless as if someone had deliberately done something as bizarrely imperfect looking as this. His pants were similar, black and perfect in how they were built but unusual in design. He had a pocket on his knee on his right leg and a large, and uneven, pocket on the side of his left calf. There were two normal pockets on the sides of his hips like most pants where his hands were currently inside of. He wore large black leather boots that seemed to be the most normal thing he was wearing, if you call large black boots normal.
Somehow he didn’t look gothic even though he was dressed entirely in black. He just looked different to anything around him yet blended into the night. If it weren’t for his strange luminance in the near darkness of the night he’d be almost invisible.
Besides his clothes, his eyes, his deranged face of interest and amusement and his messy long black hair that would stick out slightly like it was almost spiked, he looked pretty normal. His body looked normal although it was almost completely covered in black so I guess maybe the rest of him was discoloured too. It would make sense; he’s probably very pale beneath that tangled mess of cloth and leather.
But those eyes… those strange yellow eyes that seemed to be looking into me rather than at me. They were scary and calming at the same time. I guess he had just saved my life just then, or at least saved me from something very terrible at the very least.
He bowed suddenly.
“You’re welcome.”
“Thank… you…”
Did he just read my mind? Can he hear my thoughts? Why hasn’t his strange and startling appearance combined with his purely bizarre and frightening demonstration of supernatural power left me scared?
He started walking towards me. I took a step back, not sure if I could outrun him or even if this guy needed to move to catch me or not but I guess stepping back slightly at the point in time would be expected from anyone. He didn’t notice, or at least didn’t act like he noticed, I wasn’t certain if he was unaware of the things around him or if he just acted like this. He might’ve been aware that those men probably weren’t going to do the nicest of things to me but maybe he just hurts people for fun.
He was standing only a small distance from me now. The kind of distance you have between a friend when talking to them. Not distant or invasive.
“What will you do with their teeth?” It was the first thing that came to mind. Asking unordinary people ordinary questions is not a bad idea but it’s not exactly a very helpful one.
He held out his hand and I took it after a long hesitation. He put my hand into a pocket. I nearly recoiled when I realized that it was the same pocket he had put the teeth in but I realized it there was nothing in there.
He smiled the same bare toothed smile and let go of my hand. He wasn’t going to do anything with the teeth; he had already gotten rid of them somehow.
There was a flutter of wings and a flash of black and I was standing outside my house and he was nowhere to be seen.
When I got inside my father was already asleep. I hoped that in the morning he had forgotten all about my late arrival and I would get off just this once.

That night I dreamt of waves crashing, mountains shaking and the world in upheaval. And amongst the turmoil, in the heart of destruction there was him. He stood there with the same oblivious smile but his eyes looked at the world before him and saw the stone and steel shatter into oblivion and I knew that then and there he was conscious of the end of the world. He was fully aware than as the ground itself split into two that he was amidst it all and he just smiled.
Then his hands rose into the air and he conducted the waves and lightning and earthquakes like a symphony. He was the conductor and composer of his own sonata and devastation was his instruments. Oh how he played the annihilation of the world so beautifully as the stars and planets joined in and the sky became a mural of a million trillion supernovas. Fire filled the sky and the sky was no longer the limits of my perception as I could see everything at once, direction or position meant nothing because I could see it all and I watched it burn. It was no longer the end of the world but of life, of the stars and nebulas and everything that in the universe.
He lowered his hands and all of creation was no more.
No more light. No more sound. No more warmth or cold or sensation or anything but unending darkness.
And in the darkness was his smile.

I awoke shocked. The dream was so real, so indescribable in how it felt and now it was all fading away like any dream does. Now waking it was incomprehensible how it could’ve been as vivid sleeping. By the time I had finished breakfast the only thing I could clearly remember that wasn’t merely an idea or vague memory, and a mere fraction of the intensity of the dream, was the smile. There was nothing but a smile in the darkness.

Why would anyone be happy about the end of the world?

Why indeed... yes... and it's spelt checked! With an American spell checker unfortunately... because my computer in my room unfortunately doesn't have any other versions of English like... the correct one... yeah I hate the Americanised-English...

Anyhoo, if you read this and don't tell me what you think... I shall find you... Also, don't compare my story to Brooke's. Completely different subject, purpose and is different to mine. Hers is a short story mine is a story extract... so no comparing... it's like comparing Terminator to Casablanca. (Do you really think my story is as good as Casablanca though?) So no one do that... because I personally can't handle the idea that Brooke is a better writer than me... my self esteem is so fragile! AAAAAGGGHHHHHH! Not criticism!

No I'm kidding... tell me honestly what you thought of my story extract :)

Have a nice day

1 comment:

Viola said...

bonjour hehe
your 'story extract; was vair vair...vair...vair. i dont know. it was unexplainable i guess. okay im gonna try harder to explain.

it was really good. that i know. and it wasnt predictable. it was like whatever i thought was going to happen didnt happen.

also i luuuurved it :P you are a good writer:)